Democratic Republic Of Congo
Search and Rescue teams in the Democratic Republic of Congo are yet to find any bodies, after a cargo plane carrying presidential staff crashed in the eastern part of the country.
All eight passengers and crew are feared dead, a presidential adviser told Reuters on Friday.
The plane, carrying President Felix Tshisekedi’s driver, a logistics manager and some soldiers, was headed from Goma to the capital Kinshasa and went off radar on Thursday afternoon, an hour after departing, a statement from the civil aviation authority said.
Debris of the plane has been found but the passengers are still missing, said adviser Vidiye Tshimanga. He had told Reuters earlier on Friday that eight bodies had been found but said that information was incorrect.
The cause of the accident was not yet clear.
Local media showed a crowd of hundreds of Tshisekedi supporters hitting the streets of Kinshasa after the news broke on Friday morning, fearing that the plane crash had been some kind of failed coup attempt against Tshisekedi. The president took over from long-standing former President Joseph Kabila this year.
No information immediately backed up such a claim.
REUTERS
Go to video
DR Congo government rejects Kenya's naming of consul to occupied Goma
00:51
Dozens killed in attack on church in the eastern DR Congo
01:02
DRC signs major mining deal with U.S.-backed KoBold Metals
00:56
India: airlines ordered to inspect Boeing airplane models after crash
02:24
Fragile peace in Eastern DRC as M23 reacts cautiously to Kinshasa-Kigali acccord
00:59
DR Congo's new opposition coalition launched in Kinshasa